Marlon Brando

Marlon Brando born 3 April 1924 (d. 2004)

Oscar-winning Marlon Brando is unquestionably one of the greatest film actors of the 20th Century. At his peak, he was compelling, magnetic, charismatic and sexy.

Although he married three times and acknowledged no fewer than eleven children in his will, Brando was quoted in 1976 as saying. 'Like a large number of men, I, too, have had homosexual experiences, and I am not ashamed.'

He would appear to have had many such experiences and his name has been linked with many including Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, Stewart Granger, Montgomery Clift, John Gielgud and James Dean.

During the filming of Streetcar Named Desire (1951), in the garden of Vivien Leigh's mansion, David Niven discovered Brando and Laurence Olivier swimming in the pool. Olivier was kissing Brando. 'I turned my back to them and went back inside to join Vivien. I'm sure she knew what was going on, but she made no mention of it. Nor did I. One must be sophisticated about such matters in life.'

He also appears to have had a long-term relationship with an actor named Wally Cox. 'If Wally had been a woman, I would have married him and we would have lived happily ever after.' Wally Cox died in 1973, but Brando kept his ashes for 30 years and they were eventually scattered with his own. I think that tells you something...